Poll

Which is better?

Chaotic Century anime
1 (14.3%)
Chaotic Century manga
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Chaotic Century anime vs. manga  (Read 2523 times)

Steve

• Deadbeat cartoonist
    • My DA Account
Chaotic Century anime vs. manga
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »
Zoids: Chaotic Century, anime or manga, which do you prefer, and why?

My vote is for the manga. Pros:

1. The characterization is a lot better. The core characters have a similar but more interesting dynamic than the anime IMO. There's better character development; both for Van, (because he retains his character flaws instead of developing offscreen into a Canon Sue), and for Raven, (who is a lot more sympathetic.) President Camford has more of a backbone. Rosso and Viola never turn lame, and the manga's original characters such as Melissa Sue, Kirsche, Hanna and Lulu were also compelling.
2. The Zoids were handled with a lot more nuance. I like that they're more deeply woven into the culture of Zi, and I like that they're treated more like animals. Also liked the original designs. Stealth Viper gets a chance to shine and is a far better fit for Irvine than the Command Wolf IMO. Liger Zero Caesar, Berserk Fury Shadow Edge and the Stealth Dragon are all awesome.
3. The Organoids are also more nuanced. Zeke is a lot more proactive and the Organoids' abilities are more consistant and better balanced, instead of being free range powerups that gain new abilities when it's convenient for the plot. Also there's only two of them.
4. Some of the worst characters from the anime are gone. No Metlinick, no Hiltz. Hooray!

Cons:

1. It just suddenly ends with a ton of plot threads left unresolved. As many problems as I had with the anime at least it came to an actual conclusion.
2. I do miss some of the characters from the anime, mainly Dr. D, Rease, Thomas, Stinger and the Crossbow Bros.

Pro-Harry since 2003

Tilly

• Administrator
    • pointytilly.net - zoids!
    • Email
Re: Chaotic Century anime vs. manga
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:46:55 PM »
Needs moar Riese and Doctor D.  Otherwise, I like the comic a lot more.  I don't really hold the dangling plot threads against it, 'cause it got cut off like the UK comic did D:.
"Now look here, PAL!"
"Yes, mister NTSC?"
"No, I mean...wait, WHAT?"
"WHAT?  That's not a standard, do you mean SECAM?"
"...stop doing that!"

Shameless Plugs: Site - Fic - Art

Adlas

• Master of Magnet
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
I do not appreciate how the manga just got cut off and the continuation of it was also cut off.

But I do like it better than the anime as I felt it did the Zoids Are Alive feel better.

~The Beast Within~

• ~Lycan~
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »
Animation. I like the manga, but its just pictures. With the animations, you get to see the Zoids from many angles, see them move, how they move, how their weapons work, what noises they make, ect. With a manga, I'm just looking at pictures, and reading words. The storylines are good, but for sure I like the animation better.

*glomps animation* lolz

I just really enjoy seeing these big animal machines moving, and running, and even behaving with a personality. Look at the pretty colors! lol

Yes.... The Lycan has returned.

PlushRayseTiger

• Fan of all things plush, robot, or both!
  • :Insert lame pun here:
    • My Deviantart Account
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
Manga. When I use my imagination to fill in the blanks I tend to like it better than the way the anime handles things. Also, some of the voices got on my nerves. :x Too bad the manga never finished.
Signature in progress.

Sabre Liger

• The Lazy One
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »
I'd go with the manga, because of the far better, more entertaining (and canceled >_>) story, but mostly the way the world of Zi works. The Zoids were interesting in how they worked in daily life; a generator-type, a wall type, a wheelchair and a FLYING CASTLE!

Like Steve I did enjoy the new characters, though at first I hated Hanna. Rosso and Viola were far better than their anime counter parts, to be honest when they got the Liger Zeros they inspired two new characters for my stories. Raven's reasoning for hating Zoids makes more sense and Fiona changes and develops more so than anime Fiona. Irvine and Moonbay were still a lot like their anime counter parts. Van was still Van but that doesn't mean I didn't like him, I liked how he starts out in a Zoid other than the Ligers and showed he was willing to fight to the end. Again like Steve I still missed some anime characters like Dr. D, Dr. F didn't fill the void!

The Zoids. Looked. GREAT! I mean just the detail on the damage when Van was fighting the Death Stinger was amazing, little bits of inner frame, hoses and wires, I loved it. Plus like everybody else I also want Liger Zero Caesar and Berserk Fury Shadow Edge armors to. Come on Koto... You know we would pay for those, come on... Please?

Theres nothing I'd say i'd hate the manga for but one thing did annoy me was the "code names". In case you don't know what I mean is that some Zoids (mostly the Imperial ones) people don't say their names much. Example: Genosaur is "G". Deathsaur is "D" and Berserk Fury Shadow Edge is "BFSE", The last one makes sense since its' soo long but I think if a non-Zoid fan picks it up their going to have trouble understanding what you really call the Zoid.

Over all I choose the manga mostly for those reasons, do I not like the anime, no. I love the anime but the manga does somethings a little better and I always like introducing non-Zoid fans to the books.
I only believe in overkill when the weapon in toy form is big enough for ME to use. *Stares at Blue Frame* <_<

Steve

• Deadbeat cartoonist
    • My DA Account
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »
To be fair, Dr. F wasn't a replacement for Dr. D, he filled a completely different role in the story. Melissa Sue was more of the CC manga's Dr. D.

Hanna was kind of an arrogant snob but she's a villain soyeah. At any rate she's a significant improvement over Lt. Hardin, and she redeemed the Death Stinger for me. X:

Pro-Harry since 2003

Obergurke

• Just an Austrian in Space
  • Gurking through Space!
    • My DeviantArt (not that there would be much though...)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »
I'd go with the manga, because of the far better, more entertaining (and canceled >_>) story, but mostly the way the world of Zi works. The Zoids were interesting in how they worked in daily life; a generator-type, a wall type, a wheelchair and a FLYING CASTLE!

Like Steve I did enjoy the new characters, though at first I hated Hanna. Rosso and Viola were far better than their anime counter parts, to be honest when they got the Liger Zeros they inspired two new characters for my stories. Raven's reasoning for hating Zoids makes more sense and Fiona changes and develops more so than anime Fiona. Irvine and Moonbay were still a lot like their anime counter parts. Van was still Van but that doesn't mean I didn't like him, I liked how he starts out in a Zoid other than the Ligers and showed he was willing to fight to the end. Again like Steve I still missed some anime characters like Dr. D, Dr. F didn't fill the void!

The Zoids. Looked. GREAT! I mean just the detail on the damage when Van was fighting the Death Stinger was amazing, little bits of inner frame, hoses and wires, I loved it. Plus like everybody else I also want Liger Zero Caesar and Berserk Fury Shadow Edge armors to. Come on Koto... You know we would pay for those, come on... Please?

Theres nothing I'd say i'd hate the manga for but one thing did annoy me was the "code names". In case you don't know what I mean is that some Zoids (mostly the Imperial ones) people don't say their names much. Example: Genosaur is "G". Deathsaur is "D" and Berserk Fury Shadow Edge is "BFSE", The last one makes sense since its' soo long but I think if a non-Zoid fan picks it up their going to have trouble understanding what you really call the Zoid.

Over all I choose the manga mostly for those reasons, do I not like the anime, no. I love the anime but the manga does somethings a little better and I always like introducing non-Zoid fans to the books.

BFSE sounds like some sort of pandemic or something... XD

(Sorry for reviving this old behind post, but I could keep my mouth shut OTL)
...__l______
_l________\========{<<--------
/_______________\
\@@@@@@@@@@/